sexta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2009

The Turntable


Welcome to the shiny world of Vinyl !

After coming ac
ross some DIY efforts at building turntables, I too decided to give it a try… For the turntable, I went for an all aluminium construction and a decidedly “mechanical” look.

The frame consists of 2 aluminium sheets strongly bolted together, and the platter is a “sandwich” of aluminium-acrylate-aluminium epoxyed toge
ther for some vibration dampening.


As for the drive I went for what I believe to be an original path.

A bipolar stepper motor drives the platter through a toothed belt (to prevent slippage) at a 3:1 ratio. However, steppers are not known for a smooth motion which is absolutely critical here.

Here, it is driven by a special purpose Toshiba chip that generates two “pseudo” sinewaves 90 degrees apart (aka microstepping), to drive the stepper coils, thus strongly reducing any vibrations.



A Picaxe 28X1 controller running at 20Mhz provides the timing inputs to that chip with the required precision, both at 33 and 45 rpm.


The Tangential Tonearm

But the tonearm is the "piece de resistance"...


During the early 80's, tangential tonearms were all the rage, mostly for top of the range models. At the time, I admired their sophistication but I was clueless at how they worked. Nowadays, thanks to the web, few secrets remain. As a personal challenge, I decided to make one myself, based on the workings of the Denon Linatrack.

In it, the cartridge was suspended from a very short arm that could rotate horizontally from a carriage assembly that would move linearly along the record radius.
While following the record groove, the needle would pull the arm from its straightahead position, an optical switch would detect the motion and command a small motor to pull the carriage assembly along using a wire guide, thus restoring perpendicularity of arm and cartridge. So, even a small tracking error leads to an immediate correction.


My tonearm follows the same principle, although with a different mechanical layout. Here, the carriage is attached to a toothed rubber belt pulled by a stepper. A photodarlington is used to detect the cartridge movement and 2 micro-switches signal the limits of the carriage travel along a linear guide.


User input is provided by a 4-way joystick, and the following features are supported: Auto-stop at the end of play, Auto start for LP's and Singles, Auto-Repeat, Up/Down, Linear movement and finally Stop.

Due to the number of I/O lines needed, I opted again for a 28X1 controller. The extra lines also allowed me to control the stepper using halfstepping, providing a bit of a smoother action from the stepper.


All the mechanical bits are attached to an aluminium frame for rigidity and everything is partly enclosed with an acrylic cover. The tonearm itself is a somewhat complex part and for ease of prototyping, it was drawn using Google Sketchup and 3D printed by the folks at http://www.shapeways.com/



The End Result

So, how does it sound ?

All in all, it sounds reasonably good, although it ain't ready for commercial release and reviews. There are some noise sources that remain and are harder to suppress. That's where the consumer electronics giants spent most of their R&D budget - the small important details !

From the turntable itself, there's a few noises coming from the type of bearing I've used for the platter spindle, and only redesigning it will bring a complete cure. The stepper used for the platter should have more torque and that means that startup to 45rpm can be tricky sometimes.

And lastly, I forgot to provide for some kind of tension adjustment for the drive belt, which on ocasion brings some "light" warble when playing. However, a simple fix is already in the works.

The tonearm works incredibly well and reliably. Only a very muffled sound can be heard on quieter parts, when the arm assembly moves. Guess that driving the stepper using microstepping would take care of that. That's a more complex circuit maybe for the future.

Electrical noise and its interference on the signal lines became a bit of an issue towards the end of the build. Inexperience made me overlook it initially, and later on I had to reroute and shield (with aluminium foil) some of the lines. Also, some more grounding was needed.

It took me about 10 months from concept to finish. I had to learn a lot to make it work but it was hugely rewarding when it all came together, and on top of that it even sounded good !

Downloads

As I don't intend to start the next Sony (or Samsung !), I make available some of the information needed if you want to try your own version. The Eagle file schematic for the arm controller can be found here, and the necessary software (Picaxe Basic) in here.

Have a try and let me know of the results !


26 comentários:

  1. Estoy enamorado ;)

    No seriously. This is really cool. How about using an infrared LED or laser to enable it to seek/skip the tracks? That was always a dream of mine...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Nice!

    Would like to try something similar but I don't think I have the skills.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Impressive project. As a similar point of reference I offer the Altmann DIY turntable - Altmann addresses many of your possible sound quality issues in his Mother of Tone Series.

    http://www.altmann.haan.de/turntable/

    http://www.mother-of-tone.com/index.htm

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Chuck, the Altmann was my initial inspiration and where I got the idea for using a stepper. However, I wasn't aware of mother-of-tone which offers some food for thought... Thanks for the tip.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. It is a very interesting project that you have engineered. I understand that this is an early attempt and that you plan to refine/ change/ imporove the construction. A turntable is in fact an object (platter, plinth) to which a sensor (cartridge) is connected.
    The objective of any turntable designer is to eliminate even the smallest vibration which occurs in the turntable and is not coming from the record. The signal in the groove of the record has to be separated from all other parts, moving or not moving.
    One possibility to give mechanical vibrations no chance, is to detach the motor completely.
    This goes for the drive motor of the platter as well as any other motor of lift and arm, for example in the tangential arm you designed.
    Queston is: what does the toothed belt add to the retreived signal.
    A second one is to give the platter enough mass so it cannot resonate.
    Furthermore the spindle (bearing, bearing housing) should be of the highest quality.
    The electronic solutions you devised are in essence correct. The only question is: are these refined enough. Do not forget that the groove of a record contains signals engraved in micrometers!!!
    Of course I can not estimate the result you have achieved other than by listening to the sound of the video clip you did sent me.
    Good luck when refining the design.
    Best regards,
    Rudolf (Sound Fountain).

    ResponderEliminar
  6. this is so cool! a DIY turntable! turntables looks really borring actually but with your turntable.. it looks wicked! great project!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Office 2019 Crack as a final point arrived up having an official model. It's got occur that has a immense introduction of cloud storage and software and an outlook of devices and computers. Office 365 is actually applied to support buyers use all of these companies by means of cloud storage, but most businesses have not centered on this product.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. I was searching over search engines and found your blog and it really helps thank you very much…
    avg internet security crack provides a special layer of protection against ransomware. avg internet security crack to it as Ransomware Shield, while AVG refers to it as Ransomware Protection. avg internet security crack component, in both cases, prevents unauthorized programs from making changes to protected files. Bitdefender and Trend Micro both provide similar anti-unauthorized file change protection. avg internet security crack Dome Advanced is even more stringent, preventing unknown programs from reading data in protected user folders. avg internet security crack

    ResponderEliminar


  9. I like your all post. You Have Done really good Work On This Site. Thank you For The Information You provided. It helps Ma a Lot.
    it Is Very Informative Thanks For Sharing. I have also Paid This sharing. I am ImPressed For With your Post Because This post is very beneficial for me and provides new knowledge to me. This is a cleverly written article. Good work with the hard work you have done I appreciate your work thanks for sharing it. It Is a very Wounder Full Post.

    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack
    fonepaw iphone data recovery crack

    ResponderEliminar
  10. This is a great cup. Keep up the good work on your site.
    Your blog has a lot of potentials and I look forward to exploring it further.
    Thanks a lot for your work. I'm going to find him alone.
    This is what I would recommend to others. They want, I'm sure.
    use this site
    isobuster crack
    windows 10 pro crack
    microsoft project 2016 crack
    start menu crack activation code

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Hello, I just discovered your blog on Google and I like it.
    it's quite handy. I'll look at the Brussels sprouts.
    If you continue to do so in the future, I will appreciate it. Many people will benefit from it.
    based on your writing Greetings. Thanks for sharing.
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack
    audials one crack

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Woah! This site's template/theme appeals to me much.
    It's straightforward, yet it's effective. Getting the "perfect balance" might be difficult at times.
    between excellent usability and aesthetics, I think you did a fantastic job on this.
    Furthermore, the blog is quite rapid to load.
    I'm using Firefox. Fantastic website!
    avs audio editor crack
    ntlite crack product key
    windows 10 free
    fxsound enhancer crack

    ResponderEliminar
  13. I’ve been surfing on the web more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any stunning article like yours.
    It’s alluringly worth for me.
    As I would see it, if all web proprietors and bloggers made puzzling substance as you did.
    the net will be in a general sense more beneficial than at whatever point in late memory.

    exposure snap art crack
    aiseesoft dvd creator crack
    fixwin for windows crack
    apeaksoft dvd creator crack
    schoolhouse test crack
    file magic gold edition crack

    ResponderEliminar
  14. There are a lot of advantages to this software, and I'm amazed by its development of it. The first advantage of this software is that we may download it for free and easily.https://cracksys.com/whatsapp-sender-pro-crack/

    ResponderEliminar
  15. I guess I am the only one who came here to share my very own experience. Guess what!? I am using my laptop for almost the past 2 years, but I had no idea of solving some basic issues. I do not know how to Easy to Direct Download All Software But thankfully, I recently visited a website named vstpirate
    PyCharm Crack
    Sylenth1 Crack
    Microsoft Office Crack

    ResponderEliminar
  16. This is a great idea, especially for those who have just started blogging.
    Informative despite its simplicity.
    It's a pleasure to read.
    If you have not read this article, please.
    minitool shadowmaker crack
    nitro pro crack download
    system cleaner crack
    moho pro crack
    norton internet security 2019 crack

    ResponderEliminar
  17. I am very impressed with your post because this post is very beneficial for me and provide a new knowledge to me.
    Thanks for sharing this post is an excellent article. Keep it up. I use the same blogging platform that you have and have.
    it Is Very Informative Thanks For Sharing. I have also Paid This sharing. I am ImPressed For With your Post Because This post is very.
    middle earth shadow of war definitive edition crack
    hide my ip
    dfx audio enhancer
    autodesk vred professional
    sid meiers civilization gathering storm update crack
    autocad architecture

    ResponderEliminar
  18. I appreciate you providing yet another useful webpage. Exactly where else can I find knowledge stated in such a perfect manner?
    I've been looking for information about this subject for a long time and yours truly has provided me with valuable information to work on.
    guitar pro crack
    z3x samsung tool pro crack
    x mind 8 pro crack free
    avira phantom vpn pro crack activator latest

    ResponderEliminar
  19. I appreciate I like your post this is so great. This is so useful for us.You are fantastic
    For Downloading lastest free Software visit our site BBcrack

    ResponderEliminar
  20. Its really impressive information. its very useful or beneficials thanks for sharing Final Cut Pro X Crack Download https://seeratpc.com/final-cut-pro-crack-serial-number/

    ResponderEliminar
  21. You just described this information in an easy way thanks for sharing this. you may also like to visit my blog for interesting information. AirParrot License Key https://fullmaccrack.com/airparrot-crack-license-key/

    ResponderEliminar
  22. Este comentário foi removido pelo autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  23. An excellent blog post. I like it very much post. / howsofar

    ResponderEliminar
  24. You can visit this amazing website and look through every blog post there. / forbespediaa

    ResponderEliminar

  25. Hotspot Shield Crack
    Hotspot Shield Crack is great application which is highly effective and competent Proxy server programmer.

    ResponderEliminar